09222017Headline:

Victoria, Texas

HomeTexasVictoria

Email Chrissie Cole Chrissie Cole on LinkedIn Chrissie Cole on Facebook
Chrissie Cole
Chrissie Cole
Contributor •

Boy Dies After Choking On Marshmallow

Comments Off

A Victoria boy, 9, died after choking on a marshmallow. The fourth-grader was assembling ingredients to prepare s’mores for his class when he collapsed after telling his teacher he wasn’t feeling well.

A school nurse and Victoria fire department employees attempted to resuscitate him. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

It just so happens that last week The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement to establish nationwide food-related choking-incident surveillance and reporting system to “to warn the public of existing and emerging hazards.”

Every five days a child dies from choking on food. While even more die each year after swallowing non-food items.

The AAP recommends adding a warning label on foods such as hot dogs and marshmallows, which pose a high choking risk. Read the policy statement.