People in the pool area at the Portland Embassy Suites in Oregon started experiencing nausea, vomitting, and having a hard time breathing. Emergency crews were called in to help treat the victims and investigate a possible chemical exposure. 14 people were taken to local hospitals for treatment.
Fourteen of the patients were transported to five nearby hospitals. There is no further information on their conditions or their identities.
Hazardous Material crews took samples of chemicals and determined that, during routine testing and maintenance of the pool, a small amount of Muratic acid mixed with sodium hypochlorite, causing a vapor to form in the pool-area.
The fumes were ventilated from the area and the Haz Mat team returned the pool area back to the hotel.