Shoppers at a Spokane mall complained of exposure to chemicals that caused them to fill ill on Sunday. Firefighters were called to the scene to help and investigate.
Witnesses tell KREM 2 News the fumes were concentrated on the east side of the mall, by the old Gap store. Several people were taken to the hospital for symptoms that caused a scratchy throat or closure of the throat.
Holy Family Hospital set up a decontamination tent near Northtown Mall that has treated at least 32 people for exposure.
Five people were treated at Sacred Heart Medical Center for similar symptoms.
Witnesses claim that the evacuation was very slow. The mall reopened Monday morning after firefighters did not detect any more chemicals in the air.