The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

A Victoria boy, 9, died after choking on a marshmallow. The fourth-grader was assembling ingredients to prepare s’mores for his class when he collapsed after telling his teacher he wasn’t feeling well.

A school nurse and Victoria fire department employees attempted to resuscitate him. He was pronounced dead at the hospital.

It just so happens that last week The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a policy statement to establish nationwide food-related choking-incident surveillance and reporting system to “to warn the public of existing and emerging hazards.”

Every five days a child dies from choking on food. While even more die each year after swallowing non-food items.

The AAP recommends adding a warning label on foods such as hot dogs and marshmallows, which pose a high choking risk. Read the policy statement.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest